Over 35 years of supervisory management experience including: administrative and technical supervision; training development; and human resource management of military and civilian Personnel.
Exceptional multitasking ability; administered Marine Safety and Security program for a four state region. Coordinated regional implementation of national Commercial Vessel, Commercial Fishing, and Recreational Boating Safety programs for over 1.6 million vessels and vessel operators in California, Nevada, Arizona and Utah.
Comprehensive understanding of U.S. Law, Code of Federal Regulations, and international Conventions; oversaw commercial vessel inspections, casualty investigations, marine credentialing and licensing programs for the Eleventh Coast Guard District. Provided counsel to Coast Guard leadership, inspectors, investigators, and credentialed mariners on licensing, law and regulatory issues.
Works easily with others inside and outside of organization; Provided counsel to Federal Partners, State Boating Law Administrators, Tribal Governments, and Non-Governmental Organizations on extensive Federal Laws, Code of Federal Regulations and National Policy regarding commercial vessel safety and mass rescue exercises. Hand picked to develop and conduct training at the National Transportation and Safety Board’s first seminar on Commercial Vessel Safety for Sole State regulators.
2008 – Present: Maritime Consultant
Assist clients in MSP re-flags, Vessel Security, ISM procedures, Anti-Piracy, Coast Guard Appeals and related administrative tasks.
Expertise in developing new and amending existing shipboard Fire and Safety plans per the latest IMO and USCG standards. Conducts VGP, Port State, Security and ISM audits.
Leading expert on 1979 Toxic Substance Control Act (TSCA) on PCB’s. Assists vessel owners with EPA compliance issues when selling or scrapping vessels over 500 GT.
Provides expert advice and environmental testing to ensure compliance with EPA TSCA regulations and the Hong Kong Convention for the safe recycling of ships.
Holds multi-year contract to provide training to Coast Guard Marine Inspectors on the inspection of Wooden and composite (FRP) Vessels.
2006 – 2008: Program Manager for Domestic Inspection and Casualty Investigations for Eleventh Coast Guard District
Supervised a staff of 8 active duty and civilian personnel on the commercial vessel safety program including; commercial fishing vessel safety, LNG development, recreational boating safety, port state control, marine inspections and marine casualty investigation programs for the Eleventh Coast Guard District.
2001 – 2006: Domestic Inspections Department Head
Supervised staff of 14 Commissioned Officers/Marine Inspectors within the port of San Francisco Bay, CA. Responsibilities included training and development of field inspectors, enforcement of SOLAS, MARPOL, IMO, MTSA, ISM, ISPS and Title 33, 46, and 49 Code of Federal Regulations. Conducted technical review and oversight of construction documents for new construction and modifications to vessels ranging from 20’ to 900’ in length.
1998 – 2001: Assistant Department Head & Independent Duty Marine Inspector
Senior Marine Inspector; managed government regulatory oversight for over 80 Coast Guard inspected vessels. Conducted marine casualty and pollution investigations on commercial & recreational vessels, and shore side facilities covering over 225 miles of California coast from Ventura Harbor to San Simeon CA.
1996 – 1998: Marine Inspector
Conducted commercial vessel safety oversight on foreign and domestic vessels operating in San Diego, CA, Laughlin, NV, and Lake Powell, AZ. Assistant Coast Guard resident inspector at the NASSCO Shipyard; responsibilities included regulatory oversight of several 885 foot “L” class container ships being converted to roll-on/roll-off military cargo vessel’s, and several 950 foot new construction Strategic Sea-lift Command ships under construction for the United States Navy.
- Train the Trainer (GL) 2010
- Approved HazMat Expert Course (GL) 2010
- Rigging Inspection Brian Toss & John Koon 2009
- Composite Boat Builder Certification; American Boat & Yacht Council (ABYC) 2008
- Maritime Safety Management Systems and Auditing using ISM Code: QMI 2007
- Quality Management Systems Auditor/Senior Auditor; QMI 2006
- ASME boiler & Pressure Vessel Code: Section IX; ASME 2003
- Electrical Safety in the Workplace; NFPA International 2002
- National Electrical Code Seminar NFPA International 2002
- Professional Level Workshop on Boat Repairs; Gougeon Brothers Inc. 2001
- Marine Safety Investigating Officer Course; USCG Yorktown, VA 2000
- Accident Investigation; ABYC 1999
- Metal Corrosion In Boats; ABYC 1999
- Surveying of Wooden Boats; The Wooden Boat School 1999
- Confined Space Safe Practices; Emergency Response Systems 1999
- Surveying of Fiberglass boats; The Wooden Boat School 1998
- Inspection of Marine Composites; Capt Franke’s 1998
- Inspection of Wooden Boats; Capt Franke’s 1998
- Introduction to Non-Destructive Testing; Hellier NDT Training, Niantic, CT 1997
- Marine Inspector Course; USCG Yorktown, VA 1996
- Total Quality management (TQM) Facilitation Skills 1995
- Executive Leadership; Petaluma, CA 1995
- Shipyard Competent Person; NFPA 1994
- Outboard Motor Maintenance I & II; OMC Service Dept Waukegan, Ill 1993
- Diesel Failure Analysis; Detroit Diesel Training Center 1993
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning; USCG Yorktown, VA 1991
- Caterpillar Diesel Engines; USCG Yorktown, VA 1989
- Hydraulic Systems & Components; USCG Yorktown, VA 1989
- Stationary Engineering Third Class; Monroe Community College 1988
- 251 ALCO Diesel Engine Maintenance; USCG Yorktown, VA
- Machinery Technician Course; USCG Yorktown, VA
- Master Technician; ABYC
- Composite Boat Builder Certification; ABYC
- Marine Corrosion Technician; ABYC
- Certified Weld Inspector CWI; AWS
- Marine Electrical Technician; ABYC
- American Boat & Yacht Council
- American Weld Society
- San Francisco Port Engineer’s Association
Associates of Arts Technical Management/Marine Engineering University of Phoenix Phoenix, AZ
Mechanical and Architectural Drafting (AutoCAD) Santa Barbara City College, Santa Barbara, CA
- Coast Guard Meritorious Service Medal
- Commendation Medal, 2 subsequent awards
- Achievement Medal, 4 Subsequent awards
- Letter of Appreciation, USN, USS Patterson
- Letter of Appreciation, USCG Training Center
- Meritorious Team Commendation, 9 Subsequent awards
- Letter of Commendation, 1 Subsequent award